Firing The Piston:-
To get good ignition when firing this piston repeatedly it is necessary to use the cleaning stick to remove any debris, and to pump fresh oxygen into the piston cylinder. Do this by running the X end of the stick in and out of the cylinder a few times with a swirling action before each firing.
1. Lubricate the piston shaft and the sides of the seal sparingly, working the shaft up and down in the cylinder until it responds freely, with a lively bounce back.
2. Place a small amount of lubricant in the indentation of the face of the seal.
3. With clean fingers
stick fast a small amount of igniting material in the lubricant in the
indentation of the seal. Take care NOT to get lubricant on
the part of the ignitor that stands up.
Even better if you can let small filaments of tinder stick up as much as possible
4. Place the plunger into the piston and give it a sharp smack with the palm of your hand, and remove immediately. If properly done, when you remove the plunger you'll have created a glowing coal. Try different ways of holding the piston whilst striking to find what works best for you, some prefer to rest the piston on a hard surface whilst striking.
5. When finished using the piston, insert the plunger with a length of thread against the seal to release compression.
If you have a misfire clean the bore out with the X end of the cleaning stick. this will dislodge any debris and give your piston a fresh supply of oxygen, enhancing ignition. Always use a fresh piece of igniter after a misfire.
Chap stick can be used as a lubricant. Avoid lubricants that contain salt.
CREATING A FLAME WITH A PISTON PAL TINDER BOX
1. Fill the tinder box with tinder, place a small fingernail piece of ignitor in the X shaped blow hole. Ignite with a glowing ember from your piston, blow gently to create a flame.
2. Hold whatever material you wish to ignite over the flame. dry leaves, shredded bark, birch bark etc.
3. After you are finished firing your tinder box, smother the flame by putting the lid on loosely. after the flame is out, remove the lid and move forward to the blow hole whatever charred tinder is left, then replenish the tinder at the back.
4. Put the lid on and smother any glowing still by the blow hole with a green leaf or similar. this way you will not burn a hole in your pocket.
5. The next firing will be very fast as the char you have moved up to the blow hole will ignite readily. You should easily get several flames to a loading.
Suitable tinder for the tinder box:- shredded cedar bark, dried leaves, pine needles, punk hardwood, dry grass etc
PHONE: 01788 569978 or 07896919320